Six years professional media maven: solid editorial; compelling copywriting. Editor of a Thomson Reuters legal publication. Original reporting on the legal world by day; inspired storytelling on the outdoor industry by night (focus is on the snow-sport and mountain bike cultures). Heart-and-soul brand messaging and stirring press releases. Versatile content creation for print, web and social media. Deadline-driven. Multiple project management. AP Style copy editor. Proficient on Mac and PC platforms; Microsoft Office; Social Media; SEO; some Photoshop; CMS; WordPress; basic HTML, CSS.
Thomson Reuters Seattle, Wash. July ’07–present
• Manage the creation and all editing of two annual Super Lawyers magazines, which feature in-depth feature profiles on a region’s top attorneys. Determine editorial subjects; edit freelanced stories; conduct feature Q&A with A-list attorney. Manage pub’s budget. Coordinate with art department for photo shoots, layout design.
• Serve as staff writer for other Super Lawyers mags: via interviews with prestigious attorneys, distilling legal jargon for stories enjoyable to the layman. Write content for Super Lawyers Blog; manage editorial flow amid hectic deadlines. Also, fact-check and copy edit all issue proofs for the brand’s 34 Super Lawyers magazines.
• In 2009, Society of Professional Journalists presented our former pub, Washington Law & Politics, its first “General Excellence Award” among magazines in the Northwest. For Thomson Reuters, I designed the awards pipeline—which proved fruitful
Writer, Editor, Photographer
MountainTracksMedia.com Seattle, Wash. Oct. ’09–present
• Original reporting on NW snow and bike cultures: personal adventure stories, on-the-ground event reporting; people profiles, gear reviews; destination spotlights. Published in print and web: Freehub Mag, Pinkbike, Decline, FeedTheHabit, GearJunkie
• Creative copy for catalogs, product descriptions, press releases.
Outdoors Editor, Blogger
Sports Northwest Seattle, Wash. Jan ’08–Jan. ’09
• Managed an eight-page editorial department on the local outdoor sports world—all story-creation, editing and photo collection: Q&A interviews, event coverage, travel pieces, news briefs, product and athlete profiles; blog pieces.
Editorial Assistant / Freelance Writer
Northwest Meetings + Events magazine Seattle, Wash. Jan. ’07–Jan. ’08
• Wrote destination, event and people profiles; tip sheets; gift guides and industry updates for the meetings and events industry.
• Responsible for photo gathering, fact-checking, securing product for photo shoots.
Action Sports Publication Developer, Writer
The Spokesman-Review—Spokane’s city newspaper Spokane, Wash. June ’06–July ’07
• Designed the business plan for a new action sports quarterly zine titled 360 Degrees, individually distributed on newsstands. For this, wrote industry news, business, athlete and sport profiles, Calendar of Events.
• Worked for Features desk of The Spokesman-Review entering material for daily Web site.
Copywriting for Design and Web; Basic HTML/CSS
School of Visual Concepts Seattle, Wash. Jan. ’10–Feb. ’10
English Major; Business Minor
Washington State University Pullman, Wash. Aug. ’04–May ’06
• Graduated Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude. Emphasis in Technical and Professional Writing
Creative Writing Major
University of California, Riverside Riverside, Calif. Aug. ’02–May ’04